Comite Olimpico Internacional
The International Olympic Committee is the supreme authority of the Olympic Movement.
Acting as a catalyst for collaboration between all parties of the Olympic family, from the National Olympic Committees (NOCs), the International Sports Federations (IFs), the athletes, the Organising Committees for the Olympic Games (OCOGs), to the TOP partners, broadcast partners and United Nations agencies, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) shepherds success through a wide range of programmes and projects. On this basis it ensures the regular celebration of the Olympic Games, supports all affiliated member organisations of the Olympic Movement and strongly encourages, by appropriate means, the promotion of the Olympic values.
In detail the role of the IOC, according to the Olympic Charter, is:
Más información aquí [+]
- To encourage and support the promotion of ethics in sport as well as education of youth through sport and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned;
- To encourage and support the organisation, development and coordination of sport and sports competitions;
- To ensure the regular celebration of the Olympic Games;
- To cooperate with the competent public or private organisations and authorities in the endeavour to place sport at the service of humanity and thereby to promote peace;
- To take action in order to strengthen the unity and to protect the independence of the Olympic Movement;
- To act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement;
- To encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women;
- To lead the fight against doping in sport;
- To encourage and support measures protecting the health of athletes;
- To oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes;
- To encourage and support the efforts of sports organisations and public authorities to provide for the social and professional future of athletes;
- To encourage and support the development of sport for all;
- To encourage and support a responsible concern for environmental issues, to promote sustainable development in sport and to require that the Olympic Games are held accordingly;
- To promote a positive legacy from the Olympic Games to the host cities and host countries;
- To encourage and support initiatives blending sport with culture and education;
- To encourage and support the activities of the International Olympic Academy (IOA) and other institutions which dedicate themselves to Olympic education.